Dating Don’ts: On Second Chance and Rerun Relationships
by frisk......
First, a story. A few years ago, I dated a guy
I’ll call Jeff. We only saw each other romantically for a grand total of two
months, but it was significant because Jeff was the first guy I had dated since the breakup of my engagement where it felt
like I finally had let go of a lot of the baggage that comes with that kind of
life-altering, trust-shattering heartbreak. I had dated a bit since that
breakup, and even had a rocky six-month relationship at one point, but I was
still so messed up. At first, dating Jeff felt like a breath of fresh air. I
felt much more together emotionally, and he was courting me like an adult,
planning actual dates and seemingly not playing any games.
On paper, he seemed
to have it together — a good job, aspirations, a positive outlook on the world
and what he wanted to contribute to it. Physically, the relationship progressed
at a much slower rate than I was used to — we only kissed for the first month —
and I took my cues from him, convinced that this was a reflection of him taking
me “seriously.”
Meanwhile,
Jeff’s own baggage started showing up, piece by piece, revealing that the guy
who presented himself as having it all together was actually a bit of an
insecure mess. One night, we finally had sex — it was quick and awkward. Soon
thereafter, Jeff started to become less available — literally and emotionally —
and when I called him on it, he said that I was great, but he wasn’t feeling
great about himself. Jeff went AWOL for a few weeks and we never had an
“official” conversation ending things, but again, it was two months, we’d had
poke-poke sex for all of five minutes and Jeff was clearly communicating with
his actions what he wasn’t directly saying with his words — that he wasn’t
ready to date anyone seriously. I had let go of enough baggage from my previous
relationship to not take it too personally, thankfully. Jeff and I stayed
friendly after our little romance came to an end, exchanging messages and likes
on Facebook, and getting together to catch up six months to a year, so I was
somewhat privy to any action in his personal life — there was none, or
certainly nothing significant.
Still, there
were plenty of hints that Jeff was growing and changing — going to therapy,
switching jobs, etc. — and sometimes he would take the time to remark that I looked
pretty in a new FB profile photo or compliment a piece of my writing. On
occasions where we would meet up for a drink or dinner, our rapport was easy,
but decidedly unromantic; I can — and would — flirt with a tree stump if it
looked at me sideways, but Jeff was always so restrained and, as when we were
dating, I took my cues from him. I had a hunch there was unfinished business
between us, but if we were going to tie up those loose ends, he would have to
make the first knot, so to speak.
A few months
ago, he did. Jeff and I went out for our semi-annual catch up drinks and
immediately I could tell the vibe was different. At one point he said that
prioritizing his high standards for achievement had gotten in the way of him
pursuing relationships with other people. “Like you,” he said. “I look back and
I wonder if you’re the one that got away.” That sideways look? He gave it to
me.
“You’ve got
my number,” I said. “Nothing to stop you from asking me out again.” A few days
later, he did.
Jeff and I
started dating again and as you might have surmised from the title of this
post, it lasted for two months and ultimately ended the exact same way, for the
exact same reasons, as the first time around. It was the ultimate example of a
Rerun Relationship — a relationship that didn’t work out the first time you
tried it, but for some reason, you give it another shot, thinking the sequel
will be better. Sometimes, the timing really is right and it’s like the first
failed attempt never happened. But more often than not, this second chance is
the same shit, different day, leaving you with a familiar bad taste in your
mouth. Based on my recent experience, here are a few signs that what you hope
is a sequel is actually just a rerun.
1. He/she hasn’t had much dating success since.
Jeff
really only dated one woman for any length of time in the years between dating
me. Their relationship only lasted three months (hey, one month longer than we
did!) and she “never got the official title,” as he put it. I know, I know,
this douchey aside should have been my first clue that Jeff hadn’t really
emotionally evolved, but, well, sometimes nice people say douchey things and
I’m great at making excuses for them, so I let it slide. I tend to be genuinely
curious about people’s prior dating histories — if those relationships are
over, I don’t consider them a threat, just potentially valuable insight — so I
asked Jeff about what went wrong. “We fought about me not being available
enough for her,” he explained. “She wanted more of my time than I was able to
give her.” I’m a bit of a lone wolf, so the fact that Jeff and I were seeing
each other just once or twice a week was actually perfect by me, but I wondered
about his “availability” in other ways. When we’d dated the first time, Jeff
had a very rigid, set schedule — like, his Sundays were mapped out by the hour
— and I had a feeling that was a wrench in this Unofficial Girlfriend’s desire
for more time together. He wasn’t able to give that time to her, and while I
wasn’t exactly looking for more facetime, I started to suspect that his
emotional availability hadn’t budged much either. After all, it didn’t seem
like he had made himself emotionally available to anyone since we were last
seeing each other.
2. One or both of you has an idealized version of the other.
The
first two months Jeff and I dated made two things really clear to me: 1) He
wasn’t ready for a relationship and 2) that was really unfortunate, because he
was such a great guy. Our semi-annual meet ups and Facebook exchanges further
encouraged this simplistic assessment. Sure, based on his sweet compliments on
my profile photos, links to the various charities he was fundraising for and
our easygoing semi-annual drinks, Jeff was/is a great guy. It was easy to
forget all of the things that made this great dude not so great to date — his
insecurities and his perfectionism, and how tightly wound he could be when
those two things head butted against each other — until they started to rear
their ugly heads again.
Meanwhile, Jeff wanted a second shot with “the girl who got away,” but he never
knew that girl too well to start with, and besides, I’ve changed a lot since
then. Not in ways that are easily noticeable — I look the same and I have the
same job — but internally significant ways. In the years between Dating Round 1
and Dating Round 2, I’d done a lot of living and growing.
I had a couple
intense relationships, I dated a lot, I had a lot of sex, I made some major
breakthroughs in therapy, my father passed away, I developed a healthier relationship
with alcohol, I helped a friend detox from drugs, and I started going to 12
Step meetings. The last few years have been incredibly difficult, but they’ve
also forced me to grow. In the end, I don’t either Jeff or I reached the
potential we each saw in the other. I am not the girl Jeff thought got away,
and even if I was, he’s still just a great guy who isn’t ready for a
relationship.
3. The same behavioral patterns emerge.
I
loathe the phrase “people never change.” What a cynical, depressing load of
garbage. Of course people change. But unfortunately, a person’s internal
evolution is not always reflected in their behavior. That’s the hard part.
Jeff’s lack of successful dating experience in between rounds 1 and 2 was also
cause for concern simply because he hadn’t put himself in many positions to
have his behavior impact or be challenged by another person with needs and
desires. When we started dating again, I could see that Jeff was more self
aware. He was bolder and more adventurous. It was rad! The first month was
amazing. We had so much fun. We connected. We had sex again, finally, and it
wasn’t awkward or short! He had changed, I had changed, we had changed. Hooray!
Not so fast. About a month and a half in, we had a dumb
misunderstanding — so dumb, that I can’t remember exactly what it was about,
but it amounted to an “off” moment, nothing more, nothing less — that could
have, should have, been
nothing. In person, he immediately clammed up. Later, feeling concerned that he
might still be festering over it, I emailed him a short note hoping to smooth
things over, and, in a show of good faith and confidence in the intimacy and
connection that had developed again between us, I made myself a little more
vulnerable. But it was like a door had been shut and things were never the same
after that.
Or, rather,
they started to look the same as they had the first time around. Jeff began
distancing himself in small ways, asking me to hang out during the day on the
weekends, but finding excuses not to hang out at night, which meant we weren’t
really having sex. He was still physically affectionate, but less so, and while
I would tell him he looked hot or express admiration for his various talents,
he would rarely return the sentiments. His texts and emails became almost
entirely focused on a bunch of familiar complaints — disliking his job, not
having energy at the end of the day, and, most importantly, feeling like he
wasn’t “achieving.” His “stressors,” he called them. I was sympathetic, but I
also had a raging case of deja vu.
I opted to
just tell him that while I doubted it was his intention, his behavior was
confusing me about his interest in me romantically and was hurting my feelings.
Jeff, after all, had been my friend for years at this point, so while that kind
of behavior in a relative stranger might have made me delete their number, I
thought he deserved more respect than that. Besides, learning to acknowledge
and articulate my needs, minimal though they may be, was something I had
struggled with in previous relationships and I didn’t want to regress into old
patterns either. I wanted to give Jeff an opportunity to explain himself, even
if that meant being honest about how his feelings for me might have changed.
Instead, Jeff saw this as a criticism, further exacerbating him not feeling
“good” about himself. He went AWOL (yup, just like the first time) for a few
days, emerging only to text me a short apology about not wanting to hurt
me. Aside from that brief back and forth, I haven’t heard from him since.
I actually have no regrets about dating Jeff again. We had some
fun. It taught me that I need to be more mindful of not idealizing or falling
for what I see as someone’s potential. It gave me a chance to articulate what I
need and how I want to be treated, and that’s meaningful, regardless of the
outcome. Most of all, it confirmed what I always knew: people can change — I had, he
had, we had — but
that is not always enough.
Via clutchmagonline

Comments
Post a Comment